Hello, I am The Mr. Bigcat & I watched every stream and have read most of the posts in regards to Siege topics. This thread is a compilation of my thoughts from an understanding of what has been presented, not what we could get. This does include ideas that I have seen on others threads. I am not trying to steal ideas but include the many great ideas that others have voiced as well.
I must say that I adore Monolith & loved Shadow of Mordor & have spent over 100hrs on the game and pick it up every now and again just to have fun. And since I first heard of Wardor I have been ecstatic and immersed myself in all the info patiently waiting to see how things progress. There are so many positive things that I think Monolith hit out of the park especially with branching out of the original game. (Ex. Gear, Gems, growth in the outside world, skill tree, Nemesis system, Ork Generator, beasts, story, and personalizing each zone with multiple objectives) I could go on because I seriously love this franchise, which is why I wanted to voice my concerns about what I have seen, because I believe easily this is going to be one of the best games to come out this year.
From the E3 gameplay that has come out it seems that it has devolved from the original gameplay trailer that specifically showed some features. It seems to me that in every siege your soldiers rush through the gate or over the walls and immediately charge for the capture point. On the capture point you fight a warchief and any body guards, on the point. Once you capture a point all units just rush to the next point and do the same and repeat the process and then again on 3rd point. It didn't seem to be any units holding other positions or holding walls, alley, or the gate along with the siege beasts. (was very disappointed with mob fighting.) One of the things that got me excited in the 1st gameplay trailer was how the entire fortress was utilized. Warchiefs felt like mini bosses inside of the big boss fight and fighting them was more significant. Tugog who didn’t really have a relationship with Talion still felt important in his role in the fortress, and the positioning that captains and warchiefs took felt more utilized. Mozu sitting above everything and sniping enemies was great and more personal to his fighting style. But in the mob fights everyone including ranged enemies just hop onto the circle and bash around. Now I know this is not the final product and many aspects may have been extremely modified to be utilized for E3. Also I understand that things will change as Fortresses are upgraded, but since I do not know how much these are my concerns/suggestions.
1. Speed. I hope they slow down the speed of the assault so you are not just rushing to each point and have time to do Talion things. (drake, siege beasts, sabatoge)
2. Troops. I would love to see more troops inside the fortress and them fighting with the assaulting forces, pushing their way to the keep and to the throne room. Everything within sight should not target you automatically. It’s a big battle I believe many would just be trying to survive and fight what is closest to them or aim at the area they are supposed to be shooting.
3. Minimap. I would like for it to show soldiers (both factions) so that way seeing pockets of enemies might be useful to remove to assist your troops along. Perhaps add a signia on the armor for faster recognition of faction. (similar to the 1st gameplay vid.)
4. Walls and Gate. I believe they should be manned by soldiers repelling attackers and once gates fall then push back to the courtyard and then back to the secondary walls. (Helms deep, Gondor Siege)
5. Defensive Siege Beasts. This should be limited to the rear layer vs. them being at the front gates as well. We saw the far back beasts do massive damage to the oncoming forces and the front seemed negligible. It was a quick shot to the packs and take over then lob couple shots and you have a Graug in your army entirely negates reason to bring War Graug if the enemy supplies one. The rear Graugs seemed to be more challenging to deal and more useful.
6. Point capture. They have said that we will have brawl battles out in the open world, I would hope they step very far away from these brawl battles in this epic fortress situation they have given us. This mechanic of moshing in this circle has given me greatest concern for this game. Although still will be entertaining, I believe this highly under utilizes the scenario and takes away from the epic that it could be.
7. Claiming points blast. This should not hit your allies. You are bringing your best and your most loyal soldiers to help claim this fortress for yourself that you are putting them in charge and your are near forced to hit each of your captains 3 times just to take a fortress. Perhaps a loss in leadership to enemy orcs and a cheer from allies nearby vs. the wraithblast.
8.Warchief. The Warchiefshould be the primary objective to complete before you capture a position, and it seems that a Warchief who was a boss in previous game is willing to retreat and not fight to the death at that location.
9. Body guards. They should be more like defensive spies that lay traps, ambushes, pincer movements, maybe one actually stay next to, but that should be more of a melee character. I’d like to go around a corner and surprise a Mounted Bodyguard with a group of Caragors charges down the street slaughtering troops/captains, or a group led by an Olog-Hai burst out of a house behind you to ambush your troops/captains. A Defender Bodyguard could pop up barricades and make the path impassable to troops/captains so you would have to move down another path or take him out. Tracker Bodyguard would attempt to kill you much like Thrak did in the gameplay trailer.
10. Cinematics. The 1st video was obviously and has been stated multiple times that it was polished up for the trailer. That being said, I would like to see more of the slow down zoom into the combat executions or deaths of Captain v. Warchief/Bodyguard and environmental factors. In E3 the environmental deaths I think were shown very well, but many times missed out on maybe zooming in on the captain being squished by Graug foot and the combat deaths mostly seemed to get missed.
11. Throne rooms. Several complained have been made as well. I personally like the room that they use. I do believe there should be more personality in them but I feel that will develop with the lvl of the Overlord and with the fortress level. Clan decoration should definitely have more play in the rooms in my opinion.
12. Overlord combat. To me we have conquered the fortress and he only has his honor guard around him. I think there should be more orcs with him in the fight but with no reinforcements. If not removing his reinforcements, let some of our troops come in. 1v1 fight yea Talion would take that, but why would he not use his soldiers when he is going to be fighting several soldiers?
13. Talions Bodyguard. In Overlord fights it would be nice if he had an initial impact, maybe not a scene. But when he pops in he hits the Overlord and does some health dmg. Then do his AI thing.
14. Automated. Late game in Mordor I got most my enjoyment out of testing my orcs and having them do things on their own like my personal soldiers killing for me. Much like being unable to interfere with certain duals, we could have the option to watch at late game stage. And get a 3rd person view from our captains, unable to do anything but right bumper between them and see how they perform on their own.
This is all based upon the idea that this is an epic finality to the region and the idea that the siege is a part of the boss battle. Warchiefs were bosses in the previous game, I would hate for them to be demoted as they are to captains hold a point. Now from the defensive siege battle stream we saw that Talion had specific objectives that the points represented to thwart the enemy siege, but has not been represented in the E3 videos. I would like to see the capture points be more of a represntation to what a player needs to do rather than the actual objective. ex. killing siege beast, kill Warchief/Bodyguards, and i have seen the idea of troop kills. If they were to do troop kills i would like captain kills and soldier kills to be tallied towards that.
Thank you everyone who powered through it and I apologize for the long post. For how immersive and amazing this game is and all the mechanics, there is much to say. Thank you everyone who powered through it. I hope we can make this the Game of the Year! Devs, Design, Actors, Moderators & everyone in this community is amazing.
Please sign in to leave a comment.